Pages

Monday, March 5, 2012

Morrow Mountain in March


First People of Morrow Mountain
One of my favorite places to visit nearby that a lot of people don't even know exists.. Morrow Mountain. It's only about 40 miles from Concord, in an area you'd never expect a mountain to be, but it's there! If you haven't been there, head on over to Google or whatever you use, and look it up. Or.. just keep reading ;)

A little history "right from Wikipedia": Morrow Mountain is one of the highest peaks in the ancient Uwharrie Mountains of central North Carolina. At one time they rose to nearly 20,000 feet (6,100 m) above sea level, but erosion has gradually worn them down to little more than high hills. Although the park contains several peaks, Morrow Mountain is a high point at 936 feet (285 m). However, the mountain still rises some 400 feet (120 m) above the surrounding lower terrain, and offers superb views of the surrounding countryside on a clear day. In addition to
the mountains, the park also contains the Yadkin-Pee Dee River, one of central North Carolina's largest river systems. From the overlook atop Morrow Mountain the river can clearly be viewed.

Me relaxing
Alright, so it may not be all that tall.. But it's still technically a mountain, and there is some amazing scenery to look at up there. I visit quite often, whether it's for a photography outing or just to get away from everything and spend some time relaxing in nature. It's usually not too packed at the top of the mountain, but you will usually find people there, mostly looking to just get away for awhile. I've even seen people that come up here just to eat lunch or dinner, and then they drive away. Can't beat the view this close to home.You'll also find people that come up here and just relax all day, just because its so peaceful.

This group just finished hiking up the Mtn
Are you a hiker but don't feel like traveling all the way out west to hike the mountains? This place has 32 miles of trails. I haven't gotten the chance to hike any of them yet, but I do plan on doing so soon. You can bet that I'll have my camera too, so I'll make sure I write an update on what I think of them. I'm really looking forward to it, there's supposedly a lot of beautiful scenery along the trails that would make for a great photo-op and there's 12 different trails to choose from. Sounds like it's going to take a few days to get through them all lol, so we'll see how that goes. This place also has camping as well. You can pick a cabin, or you can pitch a tent. That's also one of the things on my to do list once the weather warms up a little. It's been too long since I've been camping, and spending a few days out here would give me plenty of time to get those pictures I want.

Lake Tillery
Along the shore
If you enjoy fishing, or just spending time by the water, then they have a great lake as well "Lake Tillery". There's a parking lot right next to it, or you can find it along some of the trails. I believe in the spring time they're going to open up their boat rentals again. I'll be taking advantage of that and spending some time out on the lake. You might not get any photos from that one though. I prefer to keep my camera out of water if I can lol. Eventually I might brave it up and get some lake shots for you all. I'm looking forward to spending a few relaxing hours moving across the water.

There's a lot of wildlife out here, and you're probably going to see a lot of deer. So, please be careful going along the roads because they're not afraid to walk out right in-front of you like you're not even there. But if you respect their space and don't drive through there like a maniac, then it's a very enjoyable experience.I spent about half an hour on the side of the road just watching them and taking pictures. One walked right next to me, about 10 feet away. He looked at me as he walked past and then just went to the side of the road and started eating his grass dinner. It was a great experience.


Do you enjoy taking pictures of sunsets? Then this place offers a great landscape for it. I plan on going back up there when there's some clouds in the sky to try to get a more dramatic sunset photo. I'll spare the talking on this subject and just show you some examples from my last outing.
An hour before sunset
About 15-20 minutes before the sun reached the horizon. I think it made for a beautiful landscape shot.


This post is a lot more photo packed than most of the ones I've done, but there's just so much to see! The hardest part was picking which photos I should show on here. If you want to take a look at the rest of the shots, just follow the link below.